When I was thinking about putting together this list, there were 100’s of ideas out there, but to me, they didn’t really seem like self-care. I mean, how can cleaning your house from top to bottom be self-care? For me, that’s not really working on myself as it is something I would do on a regular basis.
I wanted to give you ideas to do that are for YOU. Things that will make you feel better about yourself, help you refresh, refocus and recharge. The list contains many different things you can do with different budgets and time lengths.
2. Meditate – a simple 5 minutes out to meditate can help relax and destress you.
3. Watch a movie! Get in your pj’s, grab some popcorn and get comfy. Or why not go to the cinema in the middle of the day?
4. Write – whether it’s in a journal just about your thoughts, a gratitude list or start a short story or blog.
5. Go for a walk – find somewhere nice to go for a stroll and just take in the fresh air.
6. Binge watch a favourite TV series. With the likes of catchup TV and Netflix, you can now find your favourite TV shows and watch several episodes at one.
7. Listen to some relaxing music or a podcast. Lay down, put your earphones in and just relax.
8. Read – light some candles, cozy up on the sofa and read a good fiction.
9. People watch – I love watching others (not in a creepy way, I just find human beings fascinating). Best places to people watch – a local coffee shop, park, market.
10. Visit a free museum. There are plenty of historical places you can visit around the country that are free or ask for a small donation.
12. Go to a beauty counter at a store and get a makeover.
13. Visit the beach. There’s something relaxing about listening to the waves crash on the shore.
14. Do some yoga. There are plenty of yoga tutorials on YouTube that you can try in the comfort of your own home.
15. Create a bucket list of all the things you’d like to accomplish by a certain time.
16. Take a nap.
17. Have a girly night out – or in.
18. Have a night or weekend away.
19. Take a drive. Have you ever just got in the car and driven with no end destination in mind?
20. Unplug from social media – even if it is just for one hour.
22. Bake. Make some yummy cookies, brownies or cakes to share.
23. De-Clutter. There is nothing better to help clear your mind than clearing your surroundings of clutter.
24. Watch the sunrise or set. There is something magical about watching a new day be born.
25. Have an early night. Pick at least one night a week where you will go to bed earlier, with no distractions from your phone or TV.
26. Buy yourself some flowers.
27. Have a relaxing massage. Find a local beauty therapist either in a salon or a mobile one who can come to your own home.
28. Get your hair done. Whether it’s a full out change or just a trim.
29. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. It will not only make you feel better, but I am sure it will cheer them up also.
30. Plan your self-care days for the next month.
32. Buy a new piece of clothing or a new outfit.
33. Book a spa day. Go all out on the pampering and make a day of it at a spa.
34. Create a vision board of things you would like to see appear in your life – a new house/car/holiday/money etc.
35. Watch some TEDx talks from inspiring women.
36. Have a coffee/afternoon tea and a catch up with a friend.
37. Go for a swim.
38. Buy a gift for someone ‘just because’. (I love gifting when I can).
39. Give out compliments. I love working my way through social media posts and giving compliments to people.
40. Make a gratitude list of all the things you are thankful for in life.
42. Write a letter forgiving someone for what they have done to you. Rip it up once you’ve written it and let go.
43. Have breakfast for dinner. Full english? Pancakes? Whatever you decide.
44. Find a new hobby or something you’d like to learn.
45. Do something new. Something you have never done before.
46. Write a list of everything you love about yourself. Your best qualities and traits.
47. Try on new clothes in a store. You don’t have to purchase them – but trying on different outfits always makes me feel good (and don’t forget to take those selfies!).
48. Recreate a favourite comfort meal from your childhood.
49. Write down 3 things that have been good about your day. Try to do this every day.
50. Book yourself on a retreat!!